How to switch from one BlackBerry smartphone to another using BlackBerry Desktop Software for PC
Plan on upgrading to a new BlackBerry® smartphone in the near future? Did you know that you can use BlackBerry® Desktop Software to move your content to the new BlackBerry smartphone so you are up and running as quickly as possible?
Today I’ll be showing you how to use the device switch feature in BlackBerry Desktop Software 6.1 for PC so you can get started with your new device right away.
Before we begin, you’ll need to ensure you have a USB cable and BlackBerry Desktop Software for PC installed (click here to download it) on your computer. You’ll also need both BlackBerry smartphones as well, of course! Provided you have these items ready, let’s begin.
Note: An important thing to keep in mind is that while switching devices, you have the ability to copy third-party apps to your new BlackBerry smartphone provided they are compatible. If an app isn’t compatible with your new device, it will not be loaded on to the new BlackBerry smartphone, so before proceeding I’d recommend recording what third-party apps you are currently using in case you need to re-install a compatible version of an app after completing the device switch process.
1. Connect your current BlackBerry smartphone to your computer with a USB cable.
2. On your PC, click “Start”, then “Programs” and locate the BlackBerry folder.
3. In the BlackBerry folder, click on “BlackBerry Desktop Software”.
4. After it opens, within the Device menu that appears in the top left corner, click “Switch Device”.
5. When prompted, click on your current BlackBerry smartphone. If you have more than one USB port on your PC, you can connect both your current device and your new device at the same time.
6. Choose one or both of the following:
- To transfer your current BlackBerry smartphone data to your new smartphone, select the “Device data” check box.
- To transfer any third-party applications that are compatible with your new smartphone, select the “Third-party applications” check box.
7. Click “Next” to begin the device switch process.
8. If necessary, when prompted, connect your new smartphone to your computer with a USB data cable and click “Next”.
9. Click the icon for your new smartphone when it appears to start importing your current device data into your new device.
10. If you have a SIM or media card (or both), move them to your new smartphone.
After you finish: If you are switching from a smartphone that is activated on BlackBerry® Internet Service, in the Setup application that’s available on the Home screen on your new smartphone, open the Email setup app to update your BlackBerry Internet Service account details to the new smartphone.
After completing these steps, you have successfully switched BlackBerry smartphones – enjoy your new device!
Have a question about using the device switch tool? Don’t hesitate to ask, leave a comment below!